Saturday, June 5

pre travel travel

i'm in north carolina visiting my family before i head over to london. i always spend the days running around to see everyone because my entire family is here and it gets exhausting, but i wouldn't have it any other way.



this week me, mom and sis scooped up my 93 year old grandmother, genevieve, and drove from raleigh to asheboro to visit her sister, aunt mary, 89 years old. our goal was to capture some family history for story corps, and for ourselves. too bad i bungled the first part of the recording, we need to get that written down. but we did get some great details on great granddaddy and grandmommy kirkman (my namesake - middle name). aunt mary has an amazing yard and we have some great memories from playing there. it was really nice to go back because my grandmother has long since moved from the house she lived in when we were young. i wish i had more photographs of it and the lake nearby. i photographed some really old photographs on my aunt mary had, they are a bit hard to see.


great grandparents in front of their farm house holding danielle, their granddaughter (4 months) and a kitten who walked into the frame.


lloyd, aunt mary and grandmommy's brother who died as a young boy.


great granddaddy kirkman in his wheat field.


great granddaddy again with his collie, ted. the back of the photo says that after "grandpa died and grandma wasn't home all the time - he grieved himself to death." and aunt mary told us this story as well, which made me so sad!

tonight we're heading over to my sister's to cook a huge birthday dinner. her birthday was yesterday and mine is in two weeks. i'll be spending the weekend in paris with leigh for my birthday, but i'm just as excited about celebrating tonight.

No comments: