Wednesday, April 22

where to start


leigh tagged me to post about what my "style" is. i'm not sure where to start. i guess for me it's all about color and old stuff. too bad we live in a very white house now, although sometimes that can be nice. we just miss having some color on the walls. i want to have a turquoise room one day. i don't know if al can stomach this, but he's pretty open to trying things, and i think once we painted a color that intense, it would have to stay put for a while.


i fantasize about having a large installation of heath tiles in my future home. this fireplace looks particularly awesome because it's so bright against it's black health tiled background. i find any bright color combined with black stunning.


i love complicated bedding patterns if it's done well. i hate too many large puffy pillows, but this one is just right. you see a few different pinks all working as a team. the pop of the gold and green pillows is perfect. i really like this entire house, posted on sfgirlbybay yesterday. you can see some other bed photos with different combinations and i would love to do this, i just don't have room to store all those blankets.


one of my most beloved items here at home is the avocado green sofa i grew up with. i've always loved it and it sat in our living room in north carolina where it was hardly used. when my parents decided to replace it, my dad shipped this baby from north carolina to me in sf! it came with all my grandmother's china and i bawled while i opened all the boxes. i have some other family pieces, including a china cabinet originally owned by the lowry's (grandparents), which had been passed down to my parents, then to my sister, now it's with me. my grandmother's dishes (which she purchased for her own mother) fill it now.


one of my favorite corners of this house is filled with random treasures. some estate sale finds. there are a few things that leigh got for me from lisa's now closed store, the pickled hutch (back in the church street days). al's skateboard sits here, ready for quick trips to the store or a ride around the block (last year's birthday gift from me!). a snake plant sits in the old planter that was left in the basement at the ellsworth house. i only wish the wall behind it was a nice pea green.


my current dream house is for sale in portland right now. i'd like to get decorating in there...

1 comment:

kongelbak said...

love this, love you, love turquoise